Based in Russia, Moscow
Press / Business Contact:
Pathologic 2 is an open world survival thriller set in a town that’s being consumed by a deadly plague. Face the realities of a collapsing society as you make difficult choices in seemingly lose-lose situations. The plague isn’t just a disease. You can’t save everyone.
Get to know it, winning the affection of the locals and gaining allies, or try to carve your own path alone. Explore the Town, its inhabitants, and their traditions; fight both the plague itself and its victims; try to make a difference before the time runs out.
Figure out who killed your father while fighting a deadly plague. It’s up to you to assume his mantle of the town’s Chief Medic.
Find your alleged twin sister. Was she the one who had brought the plague to this town?
The local kids are hiding something. Try playing by their rules.
You only have 12 days.
- 12 days in an odd town ravaged by a deadly disease.
- Time is of the essence: if you don’t manage it carefully, it’ll simply run out. You’ll have to choose how to spend the priceless minutes you have.
- Survival thriller. You’ll have to manage your bodily functions, offsetting hunger, thirst, exhaustion, and so on. But it doesn’t boil down to scavenging resources. Surviving on your own is hard; you’ll have to win over allies.
- An uphill battle. Managing your bodily parameters may seem bearable at first, but as time goes by, it becomes harder and harder. Your own body is only waiting for an opportunity to give up and betray you. Things are changing from bad to worse and the odds are stacked against you.
- A duel with an enemy you can’t kill. Your main foe is the plague itself, an incorporeal and malevolent entity that you have to defeat… without having the means to. It’s more powerful and more treacherous than you can imagine.
- Loot, murder, mug, steal, barter, beg… or don’t. You need resources to survive, but it’s up to you how to obtain them.
- The fights are short, ungraceful, and vicious. They don’t have to be lethal though. Many people—yourself included—would prefer to exchange their wallet for their life.
Pathologic 2 — a reimagining of Ice-Pick Lodge’s cult classic — will be released in 2018 for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.
More screenshots will be released later. Stay tuned!
Concept art (and just art)
More art will be released later. Stay tuned!
“I feel like if RPS had to pick a flagship game, it would be Pathologic… I was utterly entranced, bewildered, and terrified by it.”— John Walker, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
"Everything about the original that might have been an accident of translation or of a poorly communicated style is not only smart, it’s smarter than I thought."— Adam Smith, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
“The game... was weird and interesting—filled with ideas and ambition, but lacking the technical mastery to really pull them off. It was broken in so many ways. At the same time, it was a game that's completely unforgettable.— Phil Savage, PC Gamer
A remake, then, could be an ideal solution.”
“...You're talking about The Black Death pandemic and putting viewers in a simulated, contaminated environment to force them to make decisions quickly.”— Mike Suszek, Joystiq
“Game is tough and unforgiving but widely loved by Russian audience.”— Sergey Galyonkin, Red Buzz
“I do feel a certain excitement at the possibility of a modern-day remake that keeps Western audiences in mind.”— Andy Chalk, The Escapist
“Oh thank fucking God!”— RPG Codex
What’s Being Remade
Pathologic (2005) was released to a huge critical acclaim in Russia and has received numerous awards there. It also has a dedicated and active fan base. Sadly, the international release was spoiled by terrible translation and a lack of marketing. The game hasn't reached its international audience.
We have partially remedied that by releasing Pathologic Classic HD, a definitive HD edition of the game that improved the visuals and translation. It looks and plays better, but it's still the original 2005 title.
Currently, we're working on Pathologic 2 — a full-scale reimagining of the story. It's a 'spiritual' sequel that takes the same premise and builds a new experience on top of it. While the characters and pillars of the design remain the same, the engine, gameplay, visuals, dialogues, etc are completely new.
We believe that Pathologic 2 will take the core of a beloved cult classic and turn it into an emgaging modern experience.
Ice-Pick Lodge is a Russian game development studio founded in 2002. So far we’ve released four games: Pathologic (2005), The Void (2009), Cargo! A Quest for Gravity (2011), and Knock-Knock (2013). We wouldn’t go as far as call ourselves artists, but our general philosophy is that games should give players food for thought, not just fun. We’ve been making survival games before it was mainstream. Pathologic (2005) was novel for its time. We’re glad that nowadays gaming has embraced survival—a genre that allows us to put the player in a really uncomfortable situation, not hold their hand on a walk through a theme park. So now we want to help the gaming industry make the next step, fully exploring the potential of survival.
Alexandra Golubeva (Alphyna)
Eli Goren (groan)
Vassily Kashnikov (Mushroomer)
Anna Orlova (SpaceLaika)